THE HISTORY OF THE MULLUMBIMBY HYDRO ELECTRIC POWER STATION
The Vintage Hydro Power station that was built from a 22 000 pound community loan almost 100 years ago.
The Mullumbimby hydro power station began construction in 1924 following a rate payers poll whereby the community of Mullumbimby, who had their own Council at that time, voted to take a 22 000 pound loan to construct the Laverty's Gap weir on the Wilsons Creek, and the power station to bring electrification and street lights to the town.
HOW IT WAS SAVED
In 2008 the Mullum Hydro Power station was scheduled for demolition, but the community of Mullumbimby stepped in, and lead by Robyn Gray, was successful in having NSW State Heritage Order granted over the entire site which was finally declared in 2014.
Essential Energy is the owner of the power station and recently replaced the roof as there was an asbestos issue. This is great for our project as it means that the powerhouse roof is structurally up to scratch so we can eventually put solar up there.
Video 3 of 6, from YouTube, showing the Power Station at Mullumbimby - recored as part of the NSW Heritage listing
THE WEIR, THE RACE AND THE POWER STATION TODAY
Join Project Manager Svea Pitman as she takes a walk along the race to Laverty's Gap weir and through the currently mothballed, Mullumbimby hydro power station
The Laverty's Gap weir and race are owned by the Byron Shire Council and the hydro power station is owned by Essential Energy and all are listed in the NSW heritage order.