Answers to All Your Questions
WHEN WAS THE MULLUMBIMBY HYDRO BUILT
The Mullumbimby Hydro Electric Power Station was built in 1924 and was commissioned in 1926.
The power station was actually turned on for the first time on Christmas eve 1925 to light up the township of Mullumbimby and celebrate the electrification of the area.
It was not officially opened until the following year.
HOW BIG IS THE GENERATION AT THE POWER STATION?
The original power station ran 2 Boving Pelton turbines of 144kW each, with a total generation of 288kW.
The hydro was augmented with diesel generation over the first 40 years of operation and when it was decommissioned the hydro only comprised a small amount of the generation capacity of the power station.
For our project we are looking at installed capacity of the same as what was there originally, however we are hoping that there may be ways to even increase this a little.
WHEN DID THE HYDRO SHUT DOWN?
According to Ray Musgrave one of the longest employees of the power station, and local Mullumbimby resident, the turns were still operating in the late 1980s however official government paper work states the hydro was discontinued when the coal generation of the 60's was rolled out and distributed generation such as our hydro was no longer in favour.
We sincerely hope this tide has changed and once again small scale distributed generation will electrify our regional areas in Australia.